Cornerstone College is an independent High School (Grades RR-12) and Hostel, based in Silverton, Pretoria, South Africa. Cornerstone College has created a secure and disciplined Christian environment in which the best possible education is provided, at the lowest possible cost. The school’s other major goal is to invest in the future of South Africa, by developing our young people and by giving them a strong educational foundation.
Size of school: 850 students in total, of whom 250 students are also in the hostel.
The base of the logo represents the foundation or cornerstone that is provided for the student’s development, as well as a tick for academic excellence. The leaf growing out of the foundation represents new life and growth. Our ethos is based on Philippians 4:8 and 9, “ Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice.”
Our Mission Statement
The education of the whole person, in an atmosphere of excellence and integrity, to the glory of God.
We believe in the development of the whole person and aim to provide:
- A disciplined and constructive academic atmosphere in a Christian context
- An excellent teacher-student ratio with an emphasis on smaller classes
- Fully qualified and experienced teachers
- A matriculation pass rate and matriculation exemption rate way in excess of the regional and national rates
- A caring environment with dedicated teachers
- Bursaries for students with the necessary potential
- Uninterrupted schooling
- Fully equipped classrooms and laboratories
- A professionally run computer centre with e-mail and internet access
- A well-stocked library
- A wide range of extra mural activities
- Supervised homework sessions and extra tuition
- Remedial teaching and an educational psychologist
- Study methods courses and spring and winter schools
- Career guidance and counselling
- Individual counselling
- Life-skills in areas such as AIDS, sexuality, conflict resolution and work ethic
- Development of entrepreneurship talents
- Involvement with, and commitment to, the local community
- Sensitivity to the environment (recycling waste, planting trees etc)
- Excellent hostel facilities
- Ongoing communication with parents and guardians.
Cornerstone College is an open high school, which aims at the highest educational and ethical standards. We are presently registered with the Gauteng Department of Education (220582) and we are a registered examination centre.
We will always strive to improve the standard of education and care at Cornerstone College.
We need to improve our education and upgrade our resources in the fields of computers, mathematics, natural sciences, technology and entrepreneurship while at the same time creating an awareness of, and sensitivity towards, the environment. In line with these needs, we are in the process of converting existing warehouses and outbuildings on our site into laboratories and other sports facilities.
We aim to establish a centre of excellence at Cornerstone College.